7.31.2007

A French Dinner Guest

My work friend Clemens has just finished his internship and thesis, so last night I invited him over for dinner to celebrate. I also invited another colleague, Guillaume, who Clemens and I have shared a few lunches with.

Guillaume is so delightfully French, but I can't tell him as much without the chance of his getting miffed. Actually, he might take it as a compliment, but why open that can of worms.

I kind of invited him over as a social experiment to see what Dave would think of him.

He spoiled the "Let's pick on the French guy" atmosphere right away by showing up on time. I think he was even more surprised than we were. He did, however, arrive by moped, and parked it on the sidewalk across the street. Trés French.

Here's a photo of Guillaume, I had to take it when he was in the middle of being so French I couldn't help but immortalize him for the blog. Thankfully, he doesn't know about the blog, or else he probably wouldn't have posed.
Note the cigarette in one hand, the glass of wine in the other. In this photo he's probably raving about the great little restaurant he found last weekend (he actually puts his fingertips together and kisses them....remarkable) or telling Dave an animated story about wine. I've also been on the receiving end of an animated story about baguettes.

Guillaume turned out to be a very colorful dinner guest. I was a little intimidated cooking for a French person, but he took it all in stride and either enjoyed it or lied brilliantly.

Dave ended up liking him just as much as I do.

I promise I didn't just invite him over to make fun of him.

1 comment:

  1. « I promise I didn't just invite him over to make fun of him. »

    Nothing related with this dinner, but this last sentence reminds me I have to tell you about the « dîner de con » concept for your cultural initiation one of these days.

    ReplyDelete