This morning on the way to work Dave and I had to stop to let a hedgehog cross the road. Unlike his Sega cousin, this guy was not particularly speedy and traffic was stopped in both directions while everyone waited patiently.
I'd never seen a hedgehog in the wild before, and now I know that they're indigenous to France, as well as the rest of Europe.
This reminds me that over the weekend Ariel and I visited the pet market not far from the Notre Dame. Along with a variety of birds, bunnies, and ferrets, one vendor was selling chipmunks. One of them climbed up onto the bars of the cage and I rubbed his little belly while I asked Ariel, "Why would anyone buy a rodent? My cat hunts these for fun". But I bet the French would want to know why anyone would buy anything as sluggish and spiky as a hedgehog.
No comments:
Post a Comment