5.25.2008

One Step Forward, One Step Back

I have reached the elusive goal of anyone learning a new language: I had a dream in French. Granted, it was only one sentence, and I replied in English, but still, it counts.

And then this morning at the market I was at the fruit and vegetable stand, issuing my requests to the youngest worker at the stall, who can't be more than 12 years old. I asked for a "demi-kilo" (half kilogram) of strawberries, and a demi-kilo of cherries. When he handed me four heaving bags of fruit I thought "Gee, that's unusual".

When I had paid and left I reviewed the receipt. He understood my "demi" as "one kilo and demi" and I had walked away with over three pounds of cherries and strawberries each. And now our refrigerator is stuffed full of fruit and my confidence in my ability to communicate is back in the basement. Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment