2.05.2007

Le Louvre


I'm sorry to say this to the people back in Michigan, but the weekend was beautiful. For the first time since we've been here it was sunny for two days in a row and the temperature was in the 40s.

Sunday morning we woke up relatively early and took the train into Paris. You might have heard me mention before that on the first Sunday of every month all of the museums are free. We decided to start with the classic: the Louvre.

I was pretty excited, as I've wanted to go the Louvre since high school. I never took the time on my previous trips because I was too busy visiting the city to be bothered with a museum. The best part about it was that we could leave after only a few hours and not feel bad about wasting the cost of admission.

We saw the major players; the Mona Lisa, Winged Victory, Madonna on the Rocks, etc. I ran around like a little kid, pointing at things and trying to remember my high school Humanities class.

Dave compared his experience to a trip to a car museum for me.

We were exhausted after three hours and had lunch at a cafe on the rue de Rivoli. The sun was moving down and the light perfect for photos, so we walked over to the Notre Dame. Along the way I was amazed by the number of people we saw strolling. It seemed everyone in the city was just out for a walk.

Around 5 we started back to the hotel to retrieve a fax from our realtor. We finally settled on a price with our potential buyers and we had to sign the paperwork. Unfortunately, a few minutes after we got the fax from the front desk they closed (what kind of lousy hotel closes its front desk at 6 p.m.) and we weren't able to fax it back. So we hopped into the car and drove to another hotel, where we managed to stagger through enough bad French to get the night porter to send a fax for us. He was very patient and didn't even charge us.

After that was done we went searching for groceries, but of course it was Sunday evening and nothing was open. So we gave up and revisted the German restaurant on the Oise. Dave ordered choucroute again and was full for the first time in weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment