4.07.2007

Drunk at Work

Just when I was thinking I wouldn't have anything to blog about today, someone threw a party.

A manager who sits near me was celebrating his last day at Meru before he moves to another site. His group set up tables in our area with little trays of snacks and bottles of drinks. I spotted Coke, orange juice, and... champagne?

I'm showing my blatent Americanism here by being shocked at seeing alcohol at work. Of course it wasn't my group, so I stayed put and continued to work like there was nothing going on. It was like doing homework in the middle of a college party. The rest of my group did the same (I'm sure they did homework during parties in college, too), until the guest of honor came around with cups of champagne. Well, I didn't want to be rude.
I thought it was pretty funny to be drinking at work, and took a couple of amused photos. Then about two-thirds into the drink I remembered that my stomach was empty. And it was getting really warm in there. And if you know me at all, you know what color my face was at this point.

One of the HR girls came by for a chat and saw me eying my drink. She said "oh no. Don't laugh. You'll never stop". This made me laugh, and she rolled her eyes and wandered off. This made me laugh even more because if HR at home caught me drinking at work I'd be kicked out onto the street.

I gave the rest of the drink to Philippe, who knew he was doing me a favor. It took at least 2 hours and a solid lunch for the flushness to leave my cheeks. I felt really sorry for the guy I was working with while I nursed that drink. He probably double checked everything I did after I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment