My second excuse is that the weather has been fantastic, and I had no desire to spend any time at the computer over the weekend.
Anyway, to recount:
Saturday morning I visited the other large market in Levallois. It isn't as big as our regular, but it also isn't as crowded. I didn't feel pressured to blurt out bad French and make other customers wait for me to figure out how to communicate. At the butcher's booth I encountered something relatively new for me in France. The butcher asked about my origin. Of course, this isn't that unusual, but in the states, I'd usually answer with "half Vietnamese", the American part being implied. However, in France I'm inclined to stand up for my American half more because this is the one that people tend to forget.
The butcher scoffed when I said "et Americaine", but he was still smiling, so I figured it was safe he didn't spit in my meat.
Adam didn't have a "to-do" list, so we decided to hit the Arc de Triomphe and Champs-Elysees next. He also doesn't have a camera, so sightseeing with him is extremely fast. And educational, as he read us the history of everything from his handy Frommer's Guide. We're terrible French residents; we have no idea when anything was built or why.
On Sunday we did the one-day tour of the rest of Paris. We visited Marais again and went to the Picasso museum, which was quite interesting. We stopped at Notre Dame, despite Adam's dislike for the football team, and joined a huge throng of people touring through it. I was happy to be able to say that we went to church for Easter. Then the Louvre, Tuileries, Opera, and Place de la Concorde. The only thing we didn't visit was the Eiffel Tower, but decided that we'll save that for his next visit when he comes with his parents (hello Mrs. Winkel!).
Monday morning before he left, Adam and I walked out to a local cafe for a proper French coffee. We sat outside and watched people and birds and enjoyed the weather. We had some communication problems with the waiter, or else he was just annoyed with us taking up two seats for one coffee, because we ended up with three coffees and of course the bill for all of them. I wasn't confident enough with my French to argue, and Adam didn't mind drinking all three, but I'm afraid he might have been jittery for the rest of the day.
I never knew what all the fuss was about springtime in Paris before this weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment